- Black Olive Pesto -
It’s full on springtime in Rome: the Italians walk around slightly more tanned than usual, the air smells of fresh basil, and rucola (rocket) turns the market stalls green.
Those spring ingredients combined make a lovely pesto for all your Italian dishes - easy, quick, tasty, healthy, and inexpensive. In this dairy-free version, the saltiness of black olives makes up for the parmesan cheese, and the peppery rocket salad gives it an extra kick.
Black Olive Pesto Recipe
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon, juiced
- a handful of basil leaves (+/- 20g)
- 250g fresh rocket
- 100g pitted black olives (+ juice from can)
- salt and pepper
- Dry roast the pine nuts and sunflower seeds in a frying pan. Then mix them in a food processor, until there are no big pieces left.
- Add all the other ingredients, apart from the olive juice, and blend until smooth. Add the juice until you’ve reached a creamy consistency.
- Use this rocket pesto in pasta dishes, lasagna, on bread, as a dip, … Endless possibilities!