- Jerusalem Artichoke and Apple Salad -
When switching to a more plant-based diet, eating a variety of ingredients is important to get the whole scope of nutrients. The cooking methods need to vary also, since the raw option of a vegetable offers different - and often more - nutrients than its cooked counterpart.
In winter it’s easy to ignore raw salads and go for a warming stew. However, this salad is the perfect combo of winter ingredients. It’s got a nice crunch from the Jerusalem artichokes and roasted walnuts, the apples make it sweet, the rocket salad gives it spice, and the dressing is just finger-licking delicious.
Jerusalem Artichoke and Apple Salad Recipe
- 15 Jerusalem artichokes (finger sized)
- 1 red apple
- 70g of rocket salad
- 50g of walnuts
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pepper & salt
- Start by making the dressing for the salad. Combine the mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and seasoning. Mix everything with a spoon until it makes a smooth dressing.
- Peel the Jerusalem artichokes if needed (I just scrubbed all the dirt off really well) and slice them very thinly. Also slice the apple very thinly.
- Add most of the dressing to the apples and Jerusalem artichokes, mix well and set in the fridge for half an hour to develop the flavours. Meanwhile roast the walnuts on low heat in a pan until they’re golden.
- Add the rocket salad to the other vegetables, mix well and serve with some extra dressing and the roasted nuts. The taste develops even more after sitting in the fridge for a couple of hours.