- Carob Cashew Brownies -
|Prep: 5 min||Cooking: 25 min||Total: 30 min||Makes 15 squares|
Carob’s often used as a substitute for cacao powder, although its taste is much more earthy and soft. Trying carob for the first time is often a disappointment, because people expect to taste the richness of chocolate.
It’s important not to replace cacao with carob in your favourite gooey brownie recipe, but to choose a recipe that lists carob specifically. This refined sugar-free recipe savours carob’s flavour in combination with crunchy cashews, sweet applesauce and date syrup.
Carob Cashew Brownies Recipe
- 85g whole wheat flour
- 5 tbsp (50g) carob powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 50g cashews, crushed
- 200g apple sauce
- 150g date syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Pre-heat your oven on 180°C and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together. In another bowl mix the apple sauce, date syrup and oil.
- Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones. When there are no clumps left, pour the mixture into the baking tray and flatten everything.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, your brownies are ready! Let them cool first before diving in. The taste fully develops when they cool down. Enjoy!